On last night's episode of No Reservations, Anthony Bourdain traveled to the Hokkaido region of northern Japan to eat a lot of noodles and "do serious damage to the world's supply of sea urchin and salmon roe." He also went skiing and visited the hot springs! Now, on to the Quotable Bourdain — feel free to add your picks in the comments below.
1) On what he does in his free time: "I was just watching Ramen Girl. Apparently I'm the only person in the world who saw that one."
2) On the seemingly-Western addition of corn to a bowl of ramen: "I'm guessing the corn came about post World War II. We tend to bring corn wherever we go."
3) On the labor intensive practice of eating crab, which prevents diners from talking during a meal: "Sounds like the perfect Mothers' Day meal."
4) On eating soft roe, also known as the sperm sacs of male fish, with some snowboarders: "I don't like the way they're grinning at me. Look at the married guy, he got a facial and he likes it."
5) On skiing on fresh snow: "All virginity in my opinion is overrated and even a creepy concept."
6) On dinner conversations: "I've been talking to my food for years. Mostly good things, sometimes not."
7) On the first time he went to a ryokan, a Japanese inn: "I didn't know which was the condiment from the food. So I was basically doing the Japanese version of eating the ketchup first."
8) On getting to visit some hot springs for No Reservations: "But really this show is all about me: a cynical, calculated strategy with the bitch goddess television and in return I get to do stuff like this."
9) On a producer for the show who insists on taking his photograph in the hot springs: "I'm fucking naked here. This isn't appropriate. Don't you see it written in crayon with the backwards 'R,' 'No Girls Allowed'?"
10) On what he'd like to eat after the hot springs: "Not bukkake. Tataki. That would cause some confusion and embarrassment. Or worse, you might get what you ask for."
· All No Reservations Coverage on Eater [-E-]
· All Anthony Bourdain Coverage on Eater [-E-]