Signing off for the New Year's weekend. See you back here bright and early Tuesday morning.
It's the end of the year, and everyone is tripping over themselves to publish slideshows about all the best things of the year. Instead, here are the most vile, cringe-inducing stories on Eater in 2011. Some news is the best, and some news is the worst:
2) Pastry chef Morgan Wilson, a runner-up on Top Chef Just Desserts season one, gets indicted with felony charges of possession with intent to promote child pornography. And then he gets federal charges. Amazingly, he's out on bail.
3) Chef Mario Batali, on camera, compares bankers to Stalin and Hitler, causes internet backlash. And then he lamely apologized on Twitter. And while we're at it: the liveblog of the first episode of the The Chew.
5) Seriously, what the hell, Starbucks? Three hidden cameras discovered in your bathrooms this year? That is three too many.
7) A Florida man purposefully crashed his pickup truck into a Waffle House trying to kill his wife who worked there. Probably beyond marital counseling.
8) Who steals goats??? They're so cute and baaaaaaah.
9) "FOODIE" is probably the worst license plate of all time.
10) Food dude Guy Fieri's jewelry line.
13) Unfunny man Jay Leno getting groped by Paula Deen.
14) Barista Dustin Mattson, whose photo was appropriated for the hipster barista meme had no sense of humor about it, telling Eater Atlanta: "I do find it discouraging and disappointing that there was so much exposure brought to an attempt at making a joke of a culinary industry and the professional barista."
15) The PCRM, the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, are just a bunch of media-savvy vegan propagandists. From the "unhealthiest cookbooks" to a stupid huttoard to suing the FDA, it almost stops being funny. That is, until the Daily Show went after them.
17) And finally, while not the worst, here are the quitters of 2011: Alton Brown (for quitting his show and Twitter), Ferran Adria, NYT critic Sam Sifton, and ex-Eater Seattle editor Allecia Vermillion. You will be missed.
· All Year in Eater 2011 Posts [-E-]