This year's U.S. Open in New York City will be a little tastier than previous years: their new Master Chef Cafe will serve food by the chefs Tony Mantuano, Susan Feniger, Carmen Gonzalez, Jonathan Waxman, and Rick Moonen, all of whom were in the Champions' Round of the most recent season of Top Chef Masters. A reunion of sorts, and it'll include a cooking competition.
According to the press release, Spiaggia Chef Tony Mantuano "worked with US Open Executive Chef Michael Lockard to invite several Top Chef Masters co-stars to participate." It appears to be something the chefs are doing on their own, but a Bravo special might not be entirely out of the question.
The chefs will battle it out on September 4 for $5,000 to go to a charity of their choice by trying to sell the most of their signature item. However, their dishes will be available at the Cafe for the duration of the Open. The dishes include:
· Susan Feniger: "Carne asada tacos made with grilled jalapeno lime steak, caramelized onion, grilled corn relish, chipotle salsa and guacamole, and Yucatan pork tacos made with braised achiote pork, orange jicama slaw, guacamole and pickled onion, both served on soft corn tortillas with red rice and black beans."
· Carmen Gonzalez: "A lobster roll with key lime mayonnaise, a pulled pork sandwich with mango slaw on a brioche roll, barbeque pork quesadillas topped with avocado relish, a lobster and avocado terrine, and flan with caramel sauce."
· Tony Mantuano: "Spinach salad with crispy shallots and crumbled ricotta salata, and an antipasti platter featuring Niman Ranch dry cured salami, Pleasant Ridge Reserve cheese and marinated Cerignola olives."
· Rick Moonen: "The Moon`N Doggie, a...shrimp [hot] dog served on a fresh toasted bun. Comes with Asian slaw, mint pesto and toga chips. Customers can also customize their Moon 'N Doggies with a variety of specialty toppings including honey ginger goo, chipotle dude or horseradish hell."
· Jonathan Waxman: "Roast chicken panino with basil aioli and greens and mozzarella, an heirloom tomato caprese panino with pesto, and a grilled sliced hanger steak panino with pepperonata, along with caponata and ratatouille contorni."
Meanwhile, Masaharu Morimoto, being an Iron Chef and all, will be serving sushi in the VIP, players' lounges, and luxury suites.
· Dining at the Open [U.S. Open via WSJ]
· Unprecedented new culinary offerings hit the US Open [U.S. Open]
· All Top Chef Masters coverage on Eater [-E-]
Arthur Ashe Stadium. [Photo: Tennis Identity]