The New York Times ran a profile of "chef-dude" Guy Fieri yesterday, and it is somewhat insane and brave (though not as sexy as the New York Post's Todd English write-up), both in terms of its subject matter and the attention given to him by author Julia Moskin. It includes comparisons to Sarah Palin and references to Alain Ducasse, Kim Kardashian, David Chang, Zak Pelaccio, and Bubba the Love Sponge. There is also a photograph of him with Jay Leno. Be forewarned! It will make you dizzy. Or distressed. Or fearful. Below, some particularly remarkable quotes.
1) "'There are three people you need in life: an accountant, a fishmonger and a bail bondsman,' he began, and again the crowd erupted."
2) "He has a Sarah Palin-like ability to reach Americans who feel left behind by the nation's cultural (or, in his case, culinary) elite."
3) "With his bowling shirts and burgers, Mr. Fieri makes Emeril Lagasse look like Alain Ducasse."
4) "The fact that it was 3 o’clock in the afternoon, that there were numerous children and oxygen-toting seniors in the seats, and that he wasn’t about to do anything more radical than sear a duck breast didn’t do anything to diminish the energy Mr. Fieri brought to the stage."
5) "The charisma that recently inspired a middle-aged mom to throw her lavender-colored bra onstage during a cooking demonstration was on full display."
6) "Although his props and costumes evoke a hard-core rebelliousness, his persona is friendly and jovial, serving up a solid helping of American family values with a garnish of patriotism."
7) "Last year [Fieri] was grand marshal of a Nascar race, a ceremonial honor that has also been bestowed on Kim Kardashian, Kevin Costner and the radio host Todd Clem, known as Bubba the Love Sponge."
8) "He has 19 tattoos, including one dedicated to Evel Knievel, a longtime idol and powerful fashion influence."
9) "He presides over a prime-time game show in which people, for the chance to win a million dollars, compete at feats that require not strength, courage or knowledge, but the ability to perform stunts with household goods, like unwinding a roll of toilet paper really, really fast."
10) "His buddies...go by names like Gorilla, Mustard, Kleetus and Dirty P."