On last night's No Reservations, Anthony Bourdain travels to Dubai to sample some luxury in what is perhaps the most excessive city on earth. While he certainly gets his fair share of caviar, western celebrity chefs and indoor skiing, he also goes to workers' cafes and tours a camel-racing farm where he meets a robotic jockey/S&M sex toy. On to the Quotable Bourdain — feel free to add your picks in the comments below.
1) On standing at the top of the Burj Khalifa, the world's tallest building: "Hey, I can see my house from here!"
2) On a kid at Ski Dubai, an indoor ski resort: "What are you doing, Timmy? Going skiing at the mall, Mom!"
3) On the Avalanche Cafe at Ski Dubai: "Avalanches being an endemic problem at the mall."
4) On how immigrants must adapt to living in an Islamic country: "Drunken, loutish behavior would probably be unacceptable. I don't see that as unreasonable. That would probably cause some problems for the British."
5) On Gordon Ramsay's restaurant, Verre: "What's more Dubai than a Gordon Ramsay restaurant?"
6) On Dubai as a celebrity chef hot spot: "A new Valhalla for chefs, or elephant graveyard?"
7) On the old school dishes at Verre: "Man cannot live on delicate pastry and wild game alone."
8) On a camel racing robotic jockey that automatically whips the camel's rump: "Whenever the party starts to slow down, the conversation reaches a lull, Hey! It's Mr. Spanky time!...Start exporting to England?"