In last night's season premiere of No Reservations, Anthony Bourdain decided to take it easy and go to the Caribbean; the Grenadine Islands, specifically. There are lots of shots of him lying in hammocks, dipping his toes in the water, and drinking rum punch. And, just so you know he's earning his keep, he also catches a barracuda and hunts a rodent called a manicou. On to the Quotable Bourdain — feel free to add your picks in the comments below.
1) On flavors combining in fusion cuisine: "It's kind of about fucking."
2) On sticking to one's principles: "I think I hate you, actually. Integrity, it's really indigestible."
3) On having to leave the Caribbean eventually: "I'm going back to New York, and in a few days from now my nuts are gonna be the size of cashews because I'm gonna be so cold. Ordinarily they're like casabas."
4) On episodes not filmed in the Caribbean: "Next thing you know, I'm bent over a sawhorse getting rear-ended by a fucking rodeo clown."
5) On breakfast at sea: "I figure the first things boats need is beer."
6) On a soup made from pickled pig: "God wants me to eat this."
7) On fishing: "Personally, I'd be perfectly happy to just call it a day and fuck off to the nearest hammock and a frosty boat drink with an umbrella in it."
8) On the myth that barracudas are attracted to shiny objects: "I was thinking we were gonna get him some jewel encrusted cod piece, and kinda test that theory out."
9) On his scuba diving gear: "Hey, where's my knife? Maybe I wanna get stabby."