Ever since the national roll-out of the KFC Double Down was announced a little over a week-and-a-half ago, the country has been gripped by bunless-sandwich mania. With just two short days to go until the chicken-filet monstrosity will be available at KFCs across the country, some of the most respected food personalities in the world have been weighing in on the dish. As we approach Double-D day, we now present a handy Field Guide to everything you need to know about the KFC Double Down.
Name: Double Down
Ingredients: Two boneless Original Recipe® Filets, two strips of bacon, two slices of monterey jack and pepperjack cheese, Colonel's Sauce.
Combo Meal Price: $6.99 (includes potato wedges and a large soda).
Fat: 32 grams
Sodium: 1380 milligrams
Size: No information on its exact dimensions, but the sandwich is not big. We estimate somewhere around 5'' X 4''. For some perspective, see here.
A Brief History:
KFC released the sandwich in two test markets — Providence, Rhode Island and Omaha, Nebraska — in late August, 2009. The blogs instantly caught wind of the sandwich via commercials aired in these local markets, ads in newspapers circulars and reports from actual customers.
The original Double Down Commercial [via Youtube]
On April 1, 2010 the chain announced that it would go on sale on April 12. Five days later, KFC installed a menacing clock on their website, counting down to the release of the sandwich. On April 7, CNN got an official taste test of the Double Down at an NYC location:
CNN Segment "Is fat fare at fast foods going too far?"[via CNN]
As far as our research shows, the Double Down is not based on any other sandwich previously sold at another restaurant. Ever since the anouncement of its release, fans have attempted to recreate the both exact replicas and vegetarian takes on the sandwich at home.
"Double Down" most likely refers to a move in Blackjack, wherein a player who has already received two cards, will double his original bet and only receive one more card for the rest of the round. The phrase was imoratlized in pop culture in one of the opening scenes in Swingers (two minute mark):
The "Double Down" scene in Swingers [via Youtube]
· Anticipating Monday Lunch at KFC [Diner's Journal]
· One Sandwich to Kill You All [SFGate]
· KFC's Freakish All-Meat Sandwich, Explained [Salon.com]
· KFC Introduces 'Sandwich' With Buns Made of CHICKEN [Daily Mail]
· KFC Double Down Sandwich Is "the Vilest Food Product Created by Man"?[WaPo]
· New KFC Fried Chicken Sandwich: Cruelty To Your Health [Fitness Today]
· KFC Double Down: Angina On a Plate [Ft. Worth Weekly]
· How KFC Sold America the Vilest Food Product Created by Man [Tree Hugger]
· KFC’s new Double Down is Triple Trouble, Nutritionally [Times-Sun Union]
· KFC Double Down Update: A Double Downer [Eat This Not That]
· Double Down: This Is Why the Terrorists Hate Our Freedom [The Faster Times]
· KFC's New Double Down Chicken Sandwich Is Frightening [Diets In Review]
· Double Down: Legitimate Menu Item or Sad Cry for Media Attention? [The Stir]
· Doubling Down on Diabetes (and the Myth of Free Choice) [Big Think]
· Thumbs Down for KFC's 'Double Down' [PETA]
· KFC to Unleash the Double Down Sandwich [Vegansaurus]
· Double Down On an Aneurysm [Veggie Karma]
· KFC's "Double Down" Quadruples on Cruelty [Animals.org]
[*all nutritional information is according to KFC's nutrition guide (PDF)]
·All Double Down Coverage on Eater [-ENA-]