Vietnam is one of Anthony Bourdain's favorite places on earth, and for good reason — there's tons of strange meats, weird liquor, and friendly locals willing to take him down back alleys to find those things. In last night's episode, Tony toured Hanoi on the back of a vespa, drank vodka fermented in wild bird, and he was even tricked into eating the carcass of a freakish looking creature called a mousedeer. Naturally, the episode featured a lot of stellar Tony One-liners. On to the Quotable Bourdain— feel free to add your picks in the comments below.
1) On Vietnamese rice wine: "Well, I think we've learned something here today. We've learned the difference between wine, and liquor."
2) On duck blood soup: "It's like chicken soup and baby food at the same time, if baby liked blood. Every baby should."
3) On the flavor of boiled grasshoppers: "It's hauntingly familiar...it's like airplane glue, that's why I recognize it!"
4) On a tough piece of pork: "I tell ya, I could dig my way out of jail with a spoon quicker than I could work my way through this."
5) On eating mousedeer meat: "Mmm, meaty. Still a little rubbery. It's like eating a rubber band, man."
6) On mousedeer, cont'd: "These animals don't have a lot of fat on them, because they're running from people all the time. You didn't run fast enough my friend."
7) On fowl-marinated vodka: "Nothing says 'yes you can', nothing says 'the moment is right' like beaks and feathers marinating in vodka."
8) On listening to his body: "Sometimes I have to admit, late at night after I've had a few cocktails my body tells me I need the macaroni and cheese from KFC."
9) On Bun oc, a Vietnamese snail soup: "When I die, I want them to recover my body head down in a big pot of the bun oc liquid."
A clip of the mousedeer bit:
·Anthony Bourdain No Reservations Episode 10 [YouTube]
·All No Reservations Coverage on Eater [-EN-]