clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Exploding Escargot Lawsuit Leads to Surge in Sales

New, 1 comment

A lawsuit over "exploding" escargot has had an unexpected outcome for Marin County restaurant Seafood Peddler: sales of the dish have doubled. Two men filed a lawsuit — demanding $7,500 for alleged negligence, pain, and suffering — after they were squirted in the face with hot butter; neither sought medical treatment, however.

This is not the first time this has happened, either: in 1988, a woman burnt her eye while eating escargot at Pascale Wine Bar & Restaurant in Syracuse, New York; the owner of that restaurant also saw his escargot sales go up. Nothing like a little garlic, butter, and danger with your snails, we guess.

· Restaurant's escargot sales sizzle in wake of lawsuit [Mercury News]
· All Lawsuits on Eater [-E-]
[Photo: goingslo/Flickr]

Seafood Peddler

100 Yacht Club Drive San Rafael, CA 94901-4051

Sign up for the Sign up for the Eater newsletter

The freshest news from the food world every day