Environmental news hub MNN, which caught our eye earlier in the summer with a ranking of the 40 hottest farmers under 40 (one word: overalls), is back in the list game today with a compendium of the best young chefs around the country who make earth-conscious cuisine. On the list of 40 are such notables as White House chef Sam Kass (#11), Spike Mendelsohn (#26), Mariani fave Barton Seaver (#37), and Mozza executive chef Matt Molina (#38). Slipping into the top 10 are two current television contestants, including Top Chef's Kevin Gillespie and The Next Iron Chef's Jose Garces.
The full list is below, but here are the top 10:
· 1) Julia LeRoy, 28, Chef, Bookhouse Pub,Atlanta, Ga.
· 2) Marisa Baggett, 32, Sushi chef, Tsunami Restaurant, Memphis, Tenn.
· 3) Brittany Baldwin, 30, Chef/owner/farmer, Portland Home Chef, Portland, Ore.
· 4) Jose Garces, 38, Executive chef/owner, Amada, Tinto, Distrito, Chifa, Village Whiskey, Philadelphia, Pa.
· 5) Sean Brock, 30, Executive chef, McCrady's Restaurant, Charleston, S.C.
· 6) Kevin Gillespie, 27, Executive chef/partner, Woodfire Grill, Atlanta, Ga.
· 7) Josh Adams, 29, Chef/partner, June, Peoria, Ill.
· 8) Adam Cooke, 29, Chef de cuisine, the Barn at Blackberry Farm, Walland, Tenn.
· 9) Gerard Craft, 30, Chef/owner, Niche, St. Louis, Mo.
· 10) Sonja Finn, 30, Chef/owner, Dinette, Pittsburgh, Pa.
And here's Julia: