Last week, it came out that Emeril Lagasse is opening up a burger joint in Bethlehem, PA but the Bam Man has also rolled out what's being called "an interactive casino show" at an Atlantic City casino. In terms of blurring the line between food and entertainment, i's not quite as over-the-top as Guy's rock show, but it's close. Here are the highlights:
1) It's a 65-minute cooking competition that features contestants chosen from the audience (?!) that are supervised by professional chefs that have been "Emerilized," all while Big Brother Emeril "looks down from big-screen monitors" and offers canned (pre-taped) commentary.
2) Emeril himself only appears via video, but more importantly, he is now referring to himself in the third person. Says Emeril about Emeril not technically being present at Emeril's show: "It’s not like Emeril’s not going to be there every night, because he is...It’s just that Emeril will be there through the incredible state-of-the-art imagery that so many people use to communicate today." The mind boggles.
3) The show being compared to casino versions of game shows like The Price Is Right and Family Feud.
4) Says Emeril about his posterior: "I’m up to my ass in alligators, same as everyone else. I’ve got my cash in there."
· Emeril Cooks Up a show [ACW]
· Emeril Hops on Burger Bandwagon at Pennsylvania Casino [Eater National]